B+B SmartWorx powered by Advantech has announced its North American release of SmartStart, an industrial-grade Wi-Fi-capable LTE machine-to-machine (M2M) router that is not only cost-effective, but carrier-agile.
SmartStart addresses the growing flexibility needs of service providers and OEMs struggling to connect unattended retail terminals and remote devices in third-party locations. It is also applicable for systems migrating to LTE technology needing to connect to legacy devices. In an effort to future-proof applications and protect investments, SmartStart provides fallback to 3G/2G technologies to ensure that connectivity is reliable in areas where LTE is still under development.
The SmartStart LTE router stands out in the market when compared to similar LTE routers. While other M2M devices are hindered by carrier-specific support limitations, such as only Verizon, only AT&T or only EMEA. Similarly, SmartStart solves issues concerning LTE Cat 4 radio overkill, fixed power input, nonexistent I/O, nonexistent Wi-Fi, expensive annual software licenses and more.
“By providing a flexible, cost-effective LTE Cat 1 router with Ethernet, serial, I/O, Wi-Fi and centralized device management through our SmartWorx Hub, SmartStart covers all the bases for a majority of M2M/IoT applications,” explains Andrew Lund, B+B SmartWorx product manager.
SmartStart is certified with AT&T and Verizon, and PTCRB certified and operational in Canada; additional Canadian carrier certification is slated for Summer 2017.
Additional SmartStart features include the following:
- Multi-carrier LTE Cat 1 cellular network support with Dual SIMs
- Advanced routing and security software features
- Centralized device management tools: SmartWorx Hub and Smart Cluster
- Linux development environment with SDK support for Python and NodeRED
- 10/100 Ethernet, (1) RS-232, and (1) DIO
- 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi in Client or AP Modes (up to 55 clients)
- Designed for wide range of M2M applications
- Best-in-class operating temperature (-40°C to 75°C)
- e-Mark certification for vehicle use